Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Knitting Plans

I have been obsessed with knitting socks for about three years now.  I have purchased a bit of sock yarn, and several friends have also donated to my stash.  I do like to KNIT fancy socks, but I prefer to WEAR plain vanilla socks, or at least socks that have little or no patterning on the foot. 

I ALWAYS have a pair of "vanilla" socks on the needles and usually also have a fancier pair going simultaneously (along with my myriad of other WIPs).

The Yarn Harlot has a "Self-Imposed Sock Club," and I think this is a brilliant idea.
http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/archives/2010_01.html

She took 12 baggies and placed in them 12 balls/hanks of sock yarn.  At the start of each month she pulls out a bag randomly and knits that pair of socks.

I am going to do something similar, but I will use all of my self-striping yarn that I LOVE and put them in brown paper bags.  As I finish each vanilla sock, I will pull out a bag (randomly) and knit whichever yarn is in the bag.  This will be such fun!

I will take a pictures of the process when I do this (over the next few days).  I can't wait to see what I pull out first.

Another thing I will do is put some WIPs in the bags and force myself to finish them as I pull them out.  I currently have 2 pairs of socks that are in progress (barely started) that I can do that with.

Last night I started my first sweater.  It's the Ano sweater by Berroco.
http://www.berroco.com/292.297/296/296_ano_pv.html

I won the sweater kit last summer as a door prize at the Knit 'n Knibble birthday bash.  I would never have picked this color, but it is really growing on me as I knit it.  The yarn is a little splitty, so I have to keep an eye on my stitches.  This will be my first sweater, and I know I am going to learn a lot.

Here's my progress from last night:

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! Can't wait to see the yarn you pull out of the sock club for your vanilla socks. That is a lovely sweater, and I look forward to watching it grow.
    Tobey

    ReplyDelete